Sunday, September 2, 2012

Come for the lobster, stay for the strawberry shortcake


It was balls-out busy the past few days at work. At 5 o'clock last night, I was free. Free for a four-day weekend! Hooray me! 

I had a surprise this morning. My older sister, Beulah (haha, her pseudonym from an old blog) showed up with her family. We spent some time in the park near my apartment. It was lovely to see them; I wish they lived closer. 

This afternoon, Aunt Margie and I went out to Louisbourg. She never shows up empty-handed, and today was no exception. She brought me an old favourite; a gingerbread woman from McFadgen's Bakery in Glace Bay (more to come in a future post). We went out to Kennington Cove Beach, which is gorgeous. Here, take a look! 








So lovely! I love the ocean. I get twitchy when I live too far inland. 

We looked around for somewhere to eat and decided on the Lobster Kettle. I'm glad we did! Look how cute it is. And the view is great.




I had the seafood chowder ~



It was dilly. I like dill. It also had big chunks of seafood and veggies, which I also like. The snow crab the people were eating at the next table looked delicious. I will definitely order it the next time I'm there.

I also had the wonton shrimp. I felt like having shrimp, and I worked on a product similar to this a few years ago, so I wanted to give it a taste. The marinara sauce looked and tasted in-house made, so I was pretty happy. Besides, I wanted to be able to hum one of my favourite mangled lyrics... 'I took a wonton and I just kept going'.


Margie had the hamburger, which she said was pretty tasty.


The best part of the meal was the strawberry shortcake. I love strawberries and homemade biscuits, and strawberry shortcake is one of the few things with which I like whipped cream.


It was really good. Terri, our server, brought two forks so I could share it with Margie. She luckily had a few bites before I devoured it like someone was going to take it away from me. I still managed to taste some of it. Best strawberry shortcake I've had in years. You should check it out. 

The prices are reasonable and the servers are lovely, so I'll definitely go back. And, we picked up something special for someone special, which made the day full of more win.

I also picked up a Cape Breton slang dictionary so I won't stare blankly when someone says 'hang gallus' or laugh whenever I hear 'cousint' (which is my personal favourite). And, because I wanted to reach my sweets saturation point for the week, Margie and I went to the Tasty Treat for sundaes when we got back to Sydney.

Margie is a great partner-in-crime for my Eating All of Sydney venture. We giggle about important things, like new shoes and handsome devils.

I also have a new partner-in-crime to join my in my eatings. My 'cousint', Lily, will be coming along to try a few places. Yay!

Today was the best Sunday I've had all week!

dinner ditty ~ Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen

1 comment:

  1. The beach is lovely Jai. I want to come visit so you can teach me how to like to eat sea food. Cheers Lin aka dulci

    ReplyDelete