Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fiddlers and pierogies and cabbage rolls, oh my!

It's been quite a weekend. 

My friends/coworkers, Ruby and Sadie, and I had heaps of fun. Along with two of our other coworkers, we had a table at the Fiddlers Run Fitness Expo. Ruby and Sadie talked me into registering for the event; I decided to walk it with Ruby. She's seven months full of baby awesome, so she got lots of hoorays and applause. I had a lovely time walking with her, and we got to cheer on Sadie as she cruised her way through the course. 

After we drank chocolate milk and ate bananas, we waited at the finish line to clap and whistle for the half marathon and marathon participants. The route for half marathon was lovely; I wish I had kept up the half marathon training I had started last year. Oh well... it's still on the list of things to do...

This afternoon, we went to the Polish Festival at the St. Mary's Polish Parish in Whitney Pier. I was so excited to see a sign for a Polish Festival, that I didn't really check to see where it was in the Pier. Eep. 

Anyhow, we found our way there, bought our dinner tickets, and patiently waited in line. We were warned to get in right away so we'd get there before they ran out of food. I had back-up plans if that had happened; I would have shaken down some dancers for the pierogies their mothers had made them for lunch, and/or I would have sat down at one of the tables and shamelessly eaten off someone's plate.

Here are some of the pictures from today ~

Dancers who got to keep their pierogies... this time.



The front of the church.



Some of the beautiful stained glass inside the church.


The food. The lovely, lovely food.



Pierogies and cabbage rolls and other deliciousness! The cabbage rolls were as good as my non-Polish-100%-Scottish father's cabbage rolls, so I was happy. And the pierogies were fabulous. 



I'm not entirely sure what this is; we paid extra for it and shared it. Sadie pretty much scraped the container clean, it was that good.


The best rye bread ever, partially devoured.


Me, unable to contain my happiness in getting Polish food. In fact,  I dialed back my excitement for this shot, which still terrified Ruby. Only the servers seemed unfazed; I'm sure this is a common look among people getting Polish food.


I'll be back to this beautiful church. The food was amazing, the people were lovely, and the music was infectious. I don't even know how to say hello in Polish, but I'll become fluent in the language if it means I can eat like this at least once a month.

It was the happiest Sydney Sunday ever!

dinner ditty ~ Biloxi - The Skydiggers

2 comments:

  1. That last photo? Yeah, I know that face. I'm surprised you didn't snatch the spoon out of the poor woman's hand and say, "Just gimme that, I'll do it myself". Or snatch the spoon, throw it to create a distraction and then run away with the whole tray of.....whatever that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I wish I had the camera out sooner; the other server saw my look of glee and pretended to feed it to me with the serving spoon. Drats. You would have been proud of me for not kicking a Polish dancer and running off with her lunch. Or... maybe you're disappointed that I didn't!

    ReplyDelete