Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hot fudge fatayers

My old cellphone was in full shit-the-bed mode, so it was time for a new one. I went uptown and got a fancy new one that won't zip through all the screens when I'm trying to send a text, or randomly turn itself off, or lose memory on a daily basis. It'll also be easier for me to update this blog and post pics of food as they happen. How very exciting! I'm also proud of myself; the impossible has happened! The phone guy was a foxy fox, and I managed not to turn completely red, say something incredibly awkward and/or embarrassing, and stare at his shoes. It's almost like I'm a real adult!

While I was uptown, I went to the Tasty Treat for a hot fudge sundae. I wanted to get some action shots of the tastiest hot fudge sundaes in the world. 




I can't quite capture the deliciousness in pictures. You'll just have to head out to the Tasty Treat and try it for yourself. When I was little, my parents used to call the road by the Tasty Treat 'JL Drive', because a certain curly-haired girl would turn almost inside-out with giggly glee. I still smile every time I see the Tasty Treat sign.

Oh, and for the bears keeping score at home, they also sell hard ice cream... like Moon Mist!

Since I moved to Sydney. Aunt Margie has been telling me about her friend's fatayers. There are few places to buy fatayers around here, which are similar to a samosa. Seeing as I can't find samosas around here (I don't want to talk about it), I'm happy that fatayers are an acceptable substitute. 

When I lived in Halifax, I could get samosas at coffee shops and corner stores. When I lived in Japan, I could shamelessly hustle for them at work, then tackle my coworkers in the staff room if they tried to eat the last one. When I lived in Charlottetown, Mr. Bear and I used to ankle it to the North African food stall at the Farmers' Market for the samosas. When I lived in Moncton, I'd get them at the Indian stall on Saturday morning.

The fatayers of awesome.



Here, I will have to make my own samosas, or happily eat the aforepictured fatayers. They were delicious! The filling was very similar to the North African samosas from the Charlottetown Farmers' Market. This makes me insanely happy, because I really miss them. 

I'm trying not to focus on the food I can't find here. Besides, I'm chef, right? If I really, really, really want it, I can make it myself.

dinner ditty ~ Perfect Situation - Weezer

6 comments:

  1. How have I lived here for 18 years and yet never had a Tasty Treat hot fudge sundae? This needs to change, STAT.

    FYI: Farmers market. Saturdays 9-1. SAMOSAS. I know you're at work then but, with the right bribe,* I'm sure I could find someone to hook you up.


    * Fargo on a new couch, for instance? Or hot fudge sundaes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will soon find out that I am shameless in my pursuit of samosas. Hot fudge sundaes and Fargo on my couch (when I get it) it is!

      Delete
  2. Moon Mist? EEEEW.

    But that sundae looks awesome -- there IS ice cream under all the fudge, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Bear is obsessed with Moon Mist ice cream for some reason. I don't know, maybe they only had one or two flavours of ice cream when he was growing up in New Zealand?

      There was ice cream under all that hawt fudge, and it was made with real cream, and it was awesome.

      Delete
  3. I want moon mist with hot fudge and a banana. I would also want a samosa, that hot fudge looked soooo good I would even drowned the samosa in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you get here, I'll take you out for some Moon Mist and hot fudge sundaes. I'll make sure I also have a freezer full of fatayers, too!

      Delete