Saturday, November 10, 2012

Chiffony fabulousness!

Finally! Maple chiffon pie!


Creamy broccoli soup!


Right then. 

I was invited once again for a meal at Zana's. I'm still hurty, but even if my jaw was broken and wired shut, I would have found a way to eat the pie. I went down after work and sat with the Zanas and Diane (a lovely foodie/regular customer) as Heather went out back to get me sorted for soup and pie.

I am spoiled. I was given a cup of coffee and we all giggled about how foxy Daniel Craig is as Bond. I would have been happy with just that... then the first course came. The soup was fabulous and smooth and broccoli-y and cheesy. Cream of broccoli soup is one of my favourite soups, and cheese makes everything better. There were some lovely cauliflower fritters on the side. If there hadn't been pie, I would have eaten the lot of them.

Then the pie. The pie! You should run to Zana's on George St. and have some pie. I'll wait here patiently for you to get there.

...

Are you there yet? Good. I'm sure you have at least a fatayer in front of you. Gobble that up so we can talk about the pie.

I have had lots of chiffon pie, but never a maple chiffon pie. This. Was. Incredible. When I was in my first year of culinary school, I had to make profiteroles for the black box in my baking course. I made a maple pastry cream for the filling, and was thrilled with the results. This pie made my profiteroles look like Twinkie left out in the rain. The texture was smooth, and I could practice making pie crust every day for all of eternity and my crusts still wouldn't turn out like Heather's. Her pie is in my top three of pies, which is quite a feat. 

I've eaten a lot of pie.

Next time you're in Sydney, I'm taking you for pie. Yes, you! You will love the pie, and you will love Zana's. 

dinner ditty ~ She's Got a New Spell - Billy Bragg

No comments:

Post a Comment