Saturday, November 3, 2012

Feed the chef

Ham kobasa


I work in a supermarket. Much to my happiness, customers sometimes get confused and come to the store to give me food, instead of coming to the store to buy food. This has happened on more than one occasion.

Today was one of those occasions. One of my regular customers and fellow foodie was in Toronto on business. He came back with 100 kilograms of top grade ham kobasa. He brought me some to try. I thanked him profusely and tried to pay, but he'd hear none of it (note... foodies in Cape Breton are ridiculously generous). 

I took it home, snapped a photo and ate a piece with some cheese. I instantly realized two things. One ~ I need to buy fancier cheese. Two ~ I am going to give myself gout unless one of you comes over and helps me eat this glorious piece of kobasa.

My customer wasn't kidding. This is the best kielbasa/kobasa/kubasa/whatever name you know it by that I've ever eaten. It would make a few grown men I know (I'm looking at you both, Mr. Bear and Mr. MKT) weep great big man tears.

I'm going to make some marinated olives (I'll post the recipe and pictures when I do) and chutney, get some fancy crackers and cheese, and have a fabulous charcuterie board. Let me know if you would like to join me and we'll sort out something. Since this lovely kobassa was shared with me, I'd love to share it with you!

I also need to get some of this and make some banoffee pie. Yum!

dinner ditty ~ Can't Stop - Red Hot Chili Peppers

2 comments:

  1. Two things - why buy dulce de leche when you can make it yourself by simmering whole cans of condensed milk in the comfort of your own home? Don't worry about explosions, as long as the cans are kept submerged, you're fine. I did this when I made my first Banoffee Pie and it worked a treat.

    Secondly, like yourself, I also enjoy awesome coworkers, one of whom presented me with a foot long length of Brother's pepperoni last Friday, STILL WARM from the smoker!! Dang! Did we forget about some sort of sausage-giving holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I was thinking of you when I saw the dulce de leche. There is a huge display of it at work.

    Haha, I can totally get behind a sausage-giving holiday. I'm pretty sure Mr. MKT and Mr. Bear could, too. If I still have some of the kobasa left when I go home in a few weeks, I'll take it up to you!

    ReplyDelete