Thursday, November 1, 2012

Gyoza for the win!


Gyoza! Whenever I get homesick for Japan, I pick up some Japanese pork dumplings from Bento, the sushi shop at work.

This is what they look like when you buy them ~ 



You could heat them up in the microwave, but then they would taste like sadness. I don't own a microwave, so it's not an option. Here's how I heat them up so they taste just like they do in Japan.

I heat up a dry frying pan ~ 


I heat them for a minute or two, just until they brown and crisp up on the bottom. 


After I check them, I make sure they're sitting up properly. Please ignore the burn on the back of my hand. Stoopid oven rack.


I add a splash of water and return the pan to the burner.


I cover the pan and let the dumplings steam for another minute or two, just until they're a bit soft. They take very little time to heat up.


I throw them on my $1.86 koi plate and eat them with chopsticks. When I heat them up this way, they taste just like they did when I would buy them under the train tracks in Japan. Bliss!



You need to try this at home. You won't be disappointed! Please don't heat them in a microwave. Please. 

dinner ditty ~ Let's Groove - Earth, Wind & Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment