Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Loving the loaves!


Meatloaf. 

I think all food should be loaved. Loafed? Loved!

I'm a huge fan of meatloaf. From the bog-standard ground beef, egg, milk, breadcrumbs, and seasoning, to fancier loaves with foie gras and truffles... I love it all. And I'm not alone! When I was in culinary school, meatloaf day came five times a school year. You always knew what day it was, because you would hear excited shouts down the halls, 'Hey! It's meatloaf day!'

Meatloaf day, indeed! It was the same when I worked in restaurants. Everybody still got excited about meatloaf!

Why? It's comfort food! It makes you think of running home after school, finishing your homework, playing with your sisters in the backyard, then coming in for supper. It makes you think of fighting with your brother over the last piece, which may or may not have included stabbing him in the back of the hand with your fork to get it...

Do you have a favourite comfort food? What is it? Why? 

dinner ditty ~ Sorrow - David Bowie

4 comments:

  1. Really? You didn't pick a Meatloaf song for your dinner ditty??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would do anything for loaf, but I won't do that.

      Delete
  2. Confession time: I didn't like meatloaf AT ALL growing up, and it still doesn't elicit the 'YAY!' response from me. Maybe it's the word 'loaf' that does it -- I really don't care for it. Banana loaf? NO! Banana BREAD. Never 'loaf.' Okay, I'm done. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay. I know how you feel about flan, too. Not even the flan song would sway you.

      Would you like meatloaf better if it were called meatbread?

      Delete